Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - I. 7 Steps to Registration at the University Mozarteum Salzburg:

When you passed the entrance exam, please observe following specification:

  1. WHAT: Create an applicant account only if there is no Mozonline account yet
    WHERE: at all personal computers with internet browsers
    HOW: browse to this link and click on the "de/en"-button:
  2. WHAT: complete your registration by showing following things:
    • ID-Number of students pre-registration (printout is recommended)
    • Passport (original and photocopy of passport – copy of name and photo)
    • students who need visa: photocopy of visa
    • only for Secondary School Teacher Accrediation: school leaving certificate (original and photocopy)
    • only for Master Study: bachelor certificate (original and photocopy)
    • only for Postgraduate Course: master certificate (original and photocopy)
    Keep in mind: all documents have to satisfy the rules regarding authentication/verification and translation
    WHEN: in the general admission period
    WHERE: Servicepoint, Mirabellplatz 1, EG004, ground floor
  3. DEPOSIT SLIP: Tuition Fee if necessary and Students Fee.
    You will get your deposit slip together with your studentcard and the PinCode for MOZ ONLINE
  4. PAYMENT: Do the bank transfer immediately.
    Last payment: End of general admission period, February 5 respectively September 5.
    (Later Payments in the extended period till November 30, respectively April 30 maybe enforce  a higher tuition fee)
    University Course: pay the course fee and student fee.
    TIP: payment by telebanking: note also your customer data.
    In case of international transfer use BIC and IBAN:
    for the tuition fee: IBAN: AT37 6000 0000 9606 1204, BIC: BAWAATWW
    for postgraduate university course: IBAN: AT38 1100 0099 5325 8200, BIC: BKAUATWW
    Only in case of full payment of the tuition fee / fee of university course and students fee
  6. REGISTER TO MozOnline:
    Latest 3 days after payment you can register to MozOnline. Login at the website: and click at the lock button.
    After registration in MozOnline you can register to the courses. For more information to enter MozOnline look at internetsite:
    You have to print out your confirmations yourself by MozOnline. Check the printouts. If address has changed, enter the new one in MozOnline. If your name has changed contact us in the Servicepoint!
    (If you cannot printout your confirmations latest one week after paying, please contact to the Servicepoint!!!)

The staff of Studien- und Prüfungsmanagement wish you a good start in your study.


INFO TEL: (+43) 662/6198-3320,
(+43) 662/6198-3321,
(+43) 662/6198-3324,
Frau Sullivan:
Frau Bensmain:
Is it necessary that documents are authenticated / verified and translated into german?
How much do I have to pay for tuition?
All students have to pay the ÖH-fee each semester. This amounts to € 21,20 for WS 22/23.
Degree students with a citizenship from EU/EEA/CH and students of equal status additionally have to pay the tuition fee of € 363,36 each semester after the tuition free period (designated study duration + two semesters).
Degree students from third countries have to pay a tuition fee of € 726,72 (+ÖH-fee) each semester starting with the 1st semester.
Degree students from third countries who have a permanent residence permit can apply for equal status to EU/EEA/CH citizens. They will then get equal status to EU/EEA/CH citizens for the duration of the residence permit.
Degree students from the least developed countries can apply for a waiver of the tuition fee.
This includes: Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia
For university courses the ÖH-fee and course fee have to be payed each semester.
Non degree students have to pay the ÖH-fee and a tuition fee of € 363,36 each semester.

FAQ - II. During the Course

How do I get my certificates?
At the end of the semester the assessments are entered by the examiners into MozOnline. After taking the examinations, individual certificates can be printed out by the students themselves. A valid proof of study success (list of all examinations) can only be printed out in the Study and Examination Management office or in the Service Point.
What is "leave of absence"?
According to § 67 University Law students may apply for a leave of absence (Beurlaubung) from their study programme for one or more terms if they can prove one of the following reasons:
Completion of a military service, training service or community service, illness that demonstrably prevents the progress of studies, pregnancy, childcare obligations or other similar care obligations, completion of a voluntary social year, temporary impairment in connection with a disability. Other reasons are particularly: other serious reasons hindering your studies as well as career-promoting external commitments (e.g. internship in a professional orchestra, academy position). Attention: Employment or the completion of a second degree are not considered to be serious reasons preventing you from studying.
The application for a leave of absence, including all the necessary documents, must be submitted no later than the beginning of the semester for which the leave of absence is to apply (October 1st or March 1st), or in the event of an unforeseen and unavoidable occurrence of the reason for the leave of absence, also during the semester. The (deputy) director of studies decides on the application for leave of absence. The notification of the leave of absence will only be sent to your MOZ e-mail address.
The leave of absence applies to all study programmes at the educational institution at which it was applied for or, in the case of jointly established study programmes, for all study programmes at the participating educational institutions. During the leave of absence, admission to the study programme remains valid. There is no tuition fee to be paid, but the ÖH fee (student fee) including the insurance fee.
The current transfer data including payment reference can be called up via MOZonline (business card). Attention: If no payment is made by the end of the registration period (October 31 or March 31), you will be automatically exmatriculated by the system. (Note: If you take a leave of absence after November 30th or April 30th (on application for unforeseeable and unavoidable reasons) there will be no refund of the tuition fees already paid due to the advanced semester.)
Students receiving study grants should obtain detailed information from the study grant authority before taking a leave of absence, as those on leave of absence are not entitled to study grants.
The completed application form, together with the corresponding proof of the reason for the leave of absence (conscription notice, mother-child passport, birth certificate, medical certificate, etc.) must be submitted to the service point (in Innsbruck to the secretariat) or by MOZ email to:
I would like to go abroad for one or more semesters!
You can find information about this at
If you would like to take part in a mobility programme, please apply to the International Relations' Office, email:
How can I obtain a duplicate of the student identity card?
You have to present a notice of theft or loss and another document with a photo. The "Application for Issue of a Duplicate" is available in the Study and Examination Management Office. After payment of the duplicate fee of € 15 the new student identity card will be issued immediately. Bank account details: Bank Austria Creditanstalt, bank code: 12000, account number: 09953258200, payee Universität Mozarteum Salzburg, usage: duplicate student identity card.
How do I obtain confirmation of time spent studying?
Study periods since the winter semester 1990 have been stored electronically. Confirmation of study periods after 1990 can be printed out directly in the Study and Examination Management Office or in the Service Point.
How do I pay the ÖH-fee or tuition fee for the second or later semesters?
You can find the payable amount and the bank details in Mozonline under tuition fees. You can also check here if the payment was received. See also “Where can I find the tuition fee?”
Where and when do teaching units take place?
Please take note of the information about the study units on MozOnline and also the notices on the departmental boards in the relevant teaching buildings.
Recognition of exams
Positive examinations and other study achievements, activities, qualifications (such as scientific, artistic and professional activities) are to be recognized in accordance with § 78 UG if there are no significant differences in the acquired skills (learning outcomes) (e.g. recognition of courses and examinations from a recognized post-secondary educational institution or e.g. recognition of internships and artistic/ scientific/ pedagogical activities that were completed at institutions outside the university). At the request of regular students who want to carry out parts of their studies abroad, it must be determined in advance with an official notification which of the planned examinations and other study achievements will be recognized (e.g. recognition of Erasmus stays).

The following applies to the recognition of examinations, other study achievements, activities and qualifications:
  • The recognition must be applied for by the students.
  • The recognition of exams already completed before the admission, other academic achievements, activities and qualifications must be applied for by the end of the second semester (!) at the latest.
  • The applicants must attach all documents required for the assessment to the application.
  • Recognition is granted by official notification from the body responsible for study law matters (at the Mozarteum University by the Director of Studies) within two months of receipt of the application.
  • The recognition as an examination counts as an examination and positive assessment of the corresponding examination prescribed in the curriculum in the study programme for which recognition is issued.
  • Recognized examinations, other study achievements, activities and qualifications are to be identified as "recognized" including the number of those ECTS credit points provided for in the curriculum for the recognized examination or other study achievement.
Where to apply for recognition?
For inquiries, information and forms, please contact the Department of the Director of Studies/Bologna Process via Moz e-mail:
The review of the documents including clarification and issuing of the recognition takes 6-8 weeks until the final decision (from the application including all complete documents). The processing takes place according to the date of receipt of the applications. The official notification is made via the Moz e-mail address, and the notification is also stored in the student file in Mozonline.
In addition to the application form, the respective individual certificates (or a complete overview of subjects and grades/transcript of records) including information on the course title, examination date, examination grade, SWS/ECTS-AP and an official description of the content of the respective course must be submitted.
In the case of artistic/scientific/educational activities, the corresponding official evidence of the type, scope/duration and extent of the activity completed by the respective facility/institution outside the university must be submitted.
In the case of foreign documents, in addition to the respective original, an official translation of the documents in German or English and, if necessary, a corresponding apostille in accordance with the Hague Legalization Agreement must be attached (overview of countries).
What are ECTS points?
According to the terms of transition of the University Law 2002 concerning courses, § 124, paragraph 2, the study commissions have to allocate (by 1 July 2003) credit points to all curricula approved by University Law ECTS in accordance with § 13, section 4 Z9 and § 19 paragraph 4 of the University Law, and indeed for the individual study achievements (teaching unit examinations, scientific projects, practical work, excursions etc.)
The relative proportion of the work load related to individual study achievements is determined with these credit points, whereby the workload of one year is allocated 60 credit points and the workload of one semester is allocated 30 credit points. The annual achievement of 60 ECTS credit points amounts to 1,500 real hours (§51, paragraph 2 Z 26 UG 2002), i.e. 1 ECTS point is awarded for 25 working hours.
With immediate effect the ECTS points are stated on the teaching unit certificates and on the "proof of study success".
The workload (= overall extent) amounts to:
  • 240 ECTS points for diploma courses lasting 8 semesters
  • 300 ECTS points for diploma courses lasting 10 semesters
  • 180 ECTS points for Bachelor courses lasting 6 semesters
  • 240 ECTS points for Bachelor courses lasting 8 semesters
  • 120 ECTS points at least for Master courses
  • 180 points for doctoral (PhD) studies
How often can I repeat an examination?
Positively assessed examinations can be repeated once up to six months after first taking it; at the latest, however, up to the end of the relevant period of study or until the end of the relevant course.
N.B.: The positively assessed examination is annulled when the student takes the repeat examination. Furthermore, two positively assessed teaching unit examinations from the central artistic subject can each be repeated once during the entire duration of the course.
Negatively assessed examinations may be repeated three times. The third repetition of an examination has to be taken before a board if the examination is held in the form of a single examination process. In the case of teaching unit examinations in the central artistic subject the second repetition already has to be held before a board. Overall examinations before a board have to be repeated completely if more than one subject was negatively assessed, otherwise the repetition is limited to the negatively assessed subject.

What happens if I do not pay the tuition fee?
Do the examinations that I have already passed become invalid? No. Examinations taken during active enrolment remain valid.
However, if you do not pay your study fee, you will not be registered for the next semester, meaning the study program will be automatically closed at the end of the semester.
N.B.: If you take up studies again after a break, you begin with the curriculum that is current (possibly new) at that time.
Attending teaching units as part of your course
In every semester in which you intend to attend teaching units as part of your course at a university different from the one where you are enrolled, or to take examinations, it is necessary to enrol concurrently at the university concerned.
You have to register the first concurrent enrolment within the general enrolment period (and extended deadline). You must present the student identity card, the current prospectus of the university where you intend to be concurrently enrolled as well as a study confirmation. In the following semesters notification of concurrent enrolment is to be applied for within the general period of enrolment or within the extended deadline, if so desired.
A condition of concurrent enrolment is proof of advance notification having been made concerning the continuation of the course in the relevant semester at the university where you are enrolled.
What is an individual course of study? What do you have to be aware of?
  1. What is an individual course of study?
    The individual course (IC), formerly referred to as an irregular course, offers students the possibility of compiling a course according to their personal interests. The traditional range of courses can be extended in this way and thus take account of the changing requirements of the labour market. Until now it was only possible to approve of individual diploma courses; since 1 January 2004 this is now also possible for individual Bachelor and Master courses.
  2. What do you have to be aware of?
    The drawing-up of a qualification profile is obligatory for students when applying for approval for an IC. A qualification profile contains the description of the qualifications you intend to acquire throughout the course as well as potential usage in a profession.
    The application is then analysed to see whether the compiled course is equivalent to comparable regular courses as regards workload and whether the qualification profile is comprehensible. The compilation of subjects should also be academically and artistically meaningful.
    In determining your curriculum you can choose from the existing range of teaching units (i.e. individual courses can only be compiled from firmly established courses). As soon as the individual course has been approved, the curriculum is just as binding as in a regular course of study and any changes have to be additionally approved. It is recommended to elaborate a course concept from the curricula of the diploma, Bachelor and Master courses from which parts are to be combined, and to discuss this with the relevant director of the curricular commissions. It is also recommended to find out from this director whether the same or a similar individual course that could serve as an example has been approved.
  3. What does the application have to contain?
    The application to enrol on an individual course has to contain the description of the course, a curriculum including the qualification profile, the extent in ECTS credit points, and if the course is to be taken at several universities, the allocation of the subjects to the participating universities.
  4. How do you apply for enrolment?
    Students who would like to apply for enrolment on an individual course should already be enrolled for the subject on which the emphasis of their future course lies. However, this is not imperative.
    Even if the previous enrolment on the core subject of the future individual course has the advantage of accumulating credit points, this is not a mandatory pre-condition for family and study assistance (enrolment on an individual course is not regarded as a change of course, if all teaching units from the previous course can be credited for the curriculum). The application is to be handed in to the Study and Examination Management Office (Makartplatz 5, 3rd Floor, or in the Service Point, Mirabellplatz 1, ground floor 004) or in writing to the Universität Mozarteum Salzburg, Mirabellplatz 1, 5020 Salzburg.
    The application can be submitted at any time (in other words also outside the enrolment period). However, enrolment for the individual course is possible only after approval and only within the prescribed enrolment periods. Please note that the obligatory consultation of the directors of the curricular commissions who are involved may mean that the approval process takes a long time.
The individual course is to be officially approved by the Study Director (the relevant person in the institution), if the course of study applied for is equivalent to a course in a similar subject.
Individual courses at various universities (combination of study courses at various universities to create an individual course): the application is to be made at the university where the main focus of the course lies. The other university /universities are to be informed that the student is concurrently enrolled.

FAQ - III. Graduation

How can I legalise my austrian higher education documents for foreign countries?
For the legalisation of Austrian higher education documents in paper form, the attestation of signature by the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF) is required. The legalisation is subject to fees. The legalised documents can only be transmited to a domestic address within Austria.
For further information please click here:
Legalization of Austrian Higher Education Documents by the BMBWF

FAQ - IV.: Evaluation

Which areas/topics are evaluated?
In addition to the evaluation of teaching, studies and service facilities by the students, the university asks its graduates about their completed studies and incoming and outgoing students about their study visit. Other evaluations are carried out in numerous areas, e.g. in the context of tenure/appointment procedures, personnel development courses, courses at the Career Center, in the Pre-College Salzburg and at the International Summer Academy.
Why evaluate?
In addition to the clear legal requirement that all Austrian universities must carry out regular evaluations, a key quality objective of the Mozarteum University Salzburg is to offer its students excellent teaching at the highest international level and to train internationally competitive and recognized young artists, scientists and teachers.
The evaluation serves as an important tool for the university to ensure the quality of its range of services regularly. It also acts as an important feedback opportunity for students and teachers and offers them the chance to help shape their everyday study and work life actively.
The results serve, among other things, as a feedback instrument for teachers on their lessons, for curricular committees on the design of the studies and for the service facilities to develop their range of services further.
Who can evaluate?
All students of the Mozarteum University Salzburg who are registered for courses via MOZonline (online evaluation of teaching, studies and service facilities), who have completed their studies (graduate survey) or who are visiting the Mozarteum University (incoming survey) or a foreign university (outgoing survey) as part of a semester abroad are invited to participate in the evaluation.
Non-degree students and students of “Uni 55-PLUS” are also welcome to evaluate their courses. Students at the Pre-College Salzburg are excluded from the evaluation of teaching, as their range of courses is assessed separately.
Who or what is being evaluated?
The subject of the evaluation differs depending on the respective survey. The main evaluation processes and their topics are described in more detail below:

Evaluation Subject
Online evaluation (annually)
  • All teaching staff who held classes during the current academic year at the university. It is an evaluation of the respective teacher, not their individual courses.
  • University service facilities
  • Studies at the university
Graduate survey (annually) Satisfaction with the degree course
Incoming & Outgoing survey (annually) Satisfaction with the study visit at the Mozarteum University Salzburg (Incoming) or a foreign university (Outgoing)
Voluntary personal evaluation (upon need) Teacher who undergoes voluntary evaluation and held classes during the current academic year at the university. It is an evaluation of the respective teacher, not their individual courses.
How is the online evaluation handled?
At the end of each summer semester, students receive links to the surveys for the past academic year by e-mail to their MOZ addresses. They can then fill out the survey(s) online at any time within the evaluation period (usually 2 months).
After completing the survey, the evaluation team analyses the results and forwards a report to the chancellor’s office, the respective teachers and any other stakeholders or committees necessary (e.g. department heads, curriculum committees).
How are the results of the online evaluation created?
At the end of the evaluation period, the evaluation team statistically processes the collected feedback and creates a report. However, this only happens if at least 4 replies have been received for the respective teacher. If this is not the case, the teacher will not receive any results in order to protect the anonymity of the students (see “Is the survey anonymous?”).
If a teacher reaches the anonymity threshold of 4 feedbacks within two years, they will receive a summarized result of these years (see "What is a „summarised evaluation result”?”).
How are the evaluation results processed?
The focus of the university is to handle the evaluation results responsibly. Therefore, the outcomes of all surveys are taken very seriously. In case of the evaluation of teaching and service facilities, they are passed on to both the evaluated teacher and the chancellor’s office.Additionally, the results of the teaching evaluation are viewed in a quality circle of the chancellor’s office with the department for university development and quality management. The chancellor’s office then arranges meetings with individual teachers, or department heads or curricular boards when necessary. If needed, heads of administrative departments are also consulted on service and infrastructure issues.
Is the survey anonymous?
Data protection is a major concern of the university and has the highest priority, especially in the context of evaluation. Therefore, the answers of the participants are treated with the utmost care in order to protect their anonymity.
The questions included in the survey, a defined response threshold (see “What is an “anonymity threshold”?”) and the design of the results ensure that no conclusions can be drawn about individual students. Any handwritten comments will be transcribed without exception. Any personal information is used for statistical analysis by the evaluation team only, and will not be passed on to the lecturers under any circumstances.
What is an “anonymity threshold”?
A statistical analysis of the feedback is only carried out if at least 4 students have evaluated a teacher. This minimum limit serves to protect the anonymity of the participants. If fewer than 4 people take part in a survey, their feedback will not be passed on to the teacher or the chancellor’s office. However, it is possible to create a summarized evaluation result if teachers were evaluated by a total of at least 4 students within two consecutive academic years (see “What is a „summarised evaluation result”?”)
Whom can I contact if I have further questions?
Most of the university's evaluations are conducted through the department for university development and quality management’s evaluation team, who are happy to answer your questions. The best way to do this is to send an e-mail to
Is student participation mandatory?
The student’s participation in the university surveys is always voluntary. Nevertheless, it is a valuable opportunity to give feedback and to help shape everyday student life. Every participation and the associated positive comments or constructive criticism helps to keep the university's range of services at its high level and to improve it continuously!
Why should I participate in the evaluation surveys?
If you take part in the university surveys, you have the opportunity to convey your experiences to the university and to actively help shape your everyday student life. The Mozarteum University Salzburg takes your feedback very seriously and strives to use as much potential as possible for further development. Even if some issues cannot be resolved immediately, your feedback will still help positively influence the study experience for future generations of students.
It is important to participate in the surveys even if you are satisfied with the range of services offered by the university and do not have any specific complaints. Positive feedback or an expression of satisfaction are just as important for the university and can ensure that certain aspects remain the way they are.
Can I suffer a disadvantage from participating?
No. Since no conclusions about individuals can be drawn, no negative consequences can arise for you from participation.
Can teachers draw conclusions about me from the results?
No, that is not possible (see also “Is the survey anonymous?”).